Q and A with Student Cesar Cuevas

Part of a Student series looking at student views/voice on technology use in District 230

What is it you like about technology in your classroom:

I like having technology in the classroom. I think it really makes class roll more smoothly, be more organized, and allows students to participate more in class. I love how Sandburg acquired Google services right before I enrolled as a freshman. It's wonderful to have everything save automatically on the cloud, while also being able to access it anywhere. Google Drive is reliable and fast to use. Chromebooks are super useful because it allowed me to work on a paper during my lunch without worrying about the availability of computers at the Mezzanine. I was given a Chromebook second semester last year for United States History-- I absolutely loved the opportunity. I worked on homework in advisory, lunch, and during class no longer limited by not having a computer at hand to type on. It is so easy to work with others on Google Docs. There is no limit to the number of collaborators and the documents are always available online regardless if the owner is online or not. Windows 10 made the computers around the school much faster; a nice change because the computers sorted files out better. While working in the Aquila, it made searching for files fast and more easily than before. To sign out on windows 10 you right click the windows app and select “sign out”-- it is that simple. Canvas is a good way to get files from teachers. At first, I was hesitant because it was used in the wrong way, I would be assigned to watch videos. But to get documents and take quizzes on Canvas are a breeze. For example, in App Development it is great to see what file I need to download for our latest project and when is it due by. In AP Calc AB, it  serves as a hub for: notes, video links, and homework solutions all conveniently located in one place. For App Development, we use the Macs to code iOS apps, and we are able to run simulations of our apps on the computer or on our own iPhones. We are also able to participate in class Kahoots that increases our spirits in advisory or help us study for future class quizzes like those in my French Class. Lastly, twitter is cool to have, in order to stay updated with teachers and my club updates throughout the week; a nice way to stay connected.



Your thought's on how technology is changing your experiences in your classroom:
(Better or worse)


I’d say it has mostly been a positive addition for me in my classes. With Google Drive it is easier to keep track of stuff and be more organized. Nice to have unlimited storage and have homework available anywhere. Kahoots are the latest buzz in my classes encouraging us to win and even dance in rhythm with the upbeat Kahoot music. Classdojo points I do not like because it creates an unfriendly atmosphere of competition and another grade to worry about. Videos have been awesome to watch online on Youtube, if we for example, didn’t finish notes in class. In my Calculus class, everything is on Canvas so I can download and view: class notes, homework, class schedule, and more. It is nice to be able to access class materials throughout my day. Lectures were vastly improved, such as in World History or American History, as they were accompanied with videos. Crash Course is very good in explaining our newest topic or was another perspective aside from our teacher. Having plenty of options is key to get multiple views and input. It was nice to allow students to choose their own profile pictures on google-- I changed mine to a salad. A nice touch for students to choose a picture that meant something to them personally. Classes are moving towards a more tech-connected classroom but resources are slim to take advantage of the new opportunities. Only one Mac lab in the school and the AP Computer Science advisory has no computers to work on.


Anything worth noting that you have done with technology in your classroom:


I printed out keychains in CAD using the school’s 3D printer. Made designs in Inventor which were done by scratch. The endless amount of slides I made for my classes throughout my years looked very good and was fast & easy to make. I have been able to work with my friends to work on projects at the same time multiple times. I programmed code in AP Computer Science; in addition, I wrote code that worked on robots in that class. I used inDesign for the Aquila to layout stories. I used Aquila’s website to control sandburgaquila.com to include all stories and make it look modern. Downloaded my own apps to my iPhone to test them out-- very cool. Made my own apps in App Development that could be programmed to do anything. Some things I would recommend is Sandburg to offer some kind of program for upperclassmen. I heard rumors we can rent Chromebooks at the school library but I am not sure if it is true. It would be awesome if Sandburg can offer it at a discounted price for the Seniors going to college in less than a year. For every class, I think it would be nice to have both a physical book copy in class and have an online edition to use at home. That way we don’t have to be lugging books it back and forth or make our backpacks even heavier than they already are-- my French class does this well I would say.



Cesar Cuevas
Carl Sandburg High School Student

Comments

  1. Great feedback Cesar! Thanks for sharing and great Aquila article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the shareout on how tech has advanced your learning experiences here at Sandburg, Cesar. Keep up the great work! Go Eagles!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment