From Digital Immigrant to Native - J. McAuliffe

From Digital Immigrant to Native - J. McAuliffe
Anyone who knows me knows that the idea of me writing a technology post for the TIF blog is interesting to say the least.  I believe using technology in the classroom is exciting and important and useful; it just isn’t one of my strengths, although I’d like it to be.  I’ve made effective technology use in the classroom one of my teaching goals for practically every school year stretching back to the years when I had a DC with the same last name as our current principal.  Yet, I move slowly with technology.  More digital immigrant than native, I need more time to play around with and see the implications of technology than a one-time professional development workshop.  I have more questions and need more help than a one session presenter can handle.  However, figuring out a way to incorporate technology into my teaching effectively is so important to my students that I had to come up with my own personal technology plan to do so.  Lucky for me – and my students – we have exactly the tools we need here at Sandburg to help me reach my technology goals.  By working with the TIFs and giving myself permission to go one step at a time, I feel confident that I am moving forward with technology use in the classroom.
The biggest game changer for me this year has been the TIFs.  The start of the school year brought its usual frantic whirlwind; add a new curriculum, Chromebooks for students, and all talk of Canvas, and it seemed downright overwhelming to me.  But before I hit total panic, I decided to just slow down.  I waited until the large crowds of teachers using TIF time cleared some -- about 2 – 3 weeks—and I made an appointment with my local neighborhood TIF.  It turned out that Chris Frye was free during my prep period, so I set up what would turn into a weekly TIF appointment.  The first meeting we didn’t even work on a particular technology strategy; we just made a list of all of the things I hoped to accomplish with technology.  Chris gave me a few ideas of strategies that I might like to incorporate and then together we prioritized the list.  After that, every week we would just whittle away at the list.  I have the freedom to ask as many questions as I want and move at the pace that I need to move.  He gives me suggestions, helps me troubleshoot, and tells me I can do it.   In between my Chris appointments, I’ve also set up appointments with Desi Vuillaume because the time works best when I am in a particular classroom or because I need to know how to figure out how to do something in the classroom before my next weekly appointment.  And Desi comes right to my classroom even if it’s on the other side of the building or right before the end of the day.  Both Chris and Desi have encouraged me, let me know that I am capable, and that it’s ok to move at the pace I am moving.  The best part is that I believe them, so I keep trying new things.
At this point of the year, I can honestly say that I am moving forward. For example, I have a Canvas page that is totally functional for my students.  They can access all of their handouts, notes, and assignments.  I’m adding more features to the Canvas page as well. My favorite addition has been the on-line discussion.  Chris helped me design my first on-line discussion on Canvas. Before the discussion, we talked to the students about the importance of posting strong academic responses instead of posting the way they might on social media. The students shared great insights and really worked at being specific and appropriate with their responses.  My classes are using ThinkCerca as a writing tool, and I’m experimenting with the way collaborative writing groups hold their discussions with the Chromebooks.  My work with the TIFs has given me the confidence to just go for it.  My students are reaping the benefits.
Am I doing anything earth-shattering with technology in the classroom yet? No.  Do I have innovative new technology strategies for you to try out in the classroom? No.   But am I incorporating technology in an effective way with my students to meet the requirements of the curriculum and in a way that will prepare students for the academic rigors ahead of them?  Yes.   Will I continue to add more technology in the classroom?  Yes.   Do I have a long way to go?  Absolutely.  But that’s ok. I’ll get there.  I have a ton of help, and it doesn’t need to happen all at once. But it does need to happen.  The stakes are high – it is imperative that our students are able to succeed in a digital world, so I can’t pass this task on to someone else. Together, we are all responsible for the technology instruction of our students. I guess if anything, I’d like people who are a little unsure about technology to know that they are capable of moving forward with technology. You can do it!  Just follow my two main rules:  go at a pace that you feel comfortable and make an appointment with a TIF.  They rock – and so do you!

Judy McAuliffe
English Teacher
Carl Sandburg High School
Twitter: @McWoolley3

Comments

  1. Thank you Judy for sharing. It is great to see you taking risks and trying new things to help your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome Judy! I love your approach and I bet your students do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully we'll get to see more and more on twitter: https://twitter.com/McWoolley3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Judy! Great work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post Judy! Having a great mindset, goals, and a plan have really helped you up your game. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading this post, Judy! This is one of my goals as well (incorporating google classroom and actually using it!) and reading your post has encouraged me to "get with a TIF" :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alright Judy! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment