Dancing with Technology - J. Roberson
Dancing with Technology
Experience with Technology:
A few years ago I began experimenting with Google Drive. I found it to be an extremely beneficial tool for me and my students. It allowed me to share tutorials of dances I had taught in class, for students to view at home when they needed additional support. In my Dance II class, Google Drive has allowed me to share videos created by the students so that they can collectively reflect as a class. I thought that this was a good start with technology in the classroom and that these tools were the resources my students needed.
This year I was encouraged to expand the use of technology in my classroom through the use of Canvas. I attempted my first assignment on canvas, which was to upload a rough draft of my student’s modern dance routines. I met with our TIFs, Desi and Joe, for a quick lesson. I encouraged my students to insert a link in canvas under the group that I had already set up. Students were hesitant but seemed to know what to do when I explained the steps.
First Attempt at Learning - F.A.I.L.: Then the due date came. Students began freaking out and passing their responsibilities to upload onto their partners. The videos were all sent to Canvas in different ways and as a result Canvas did not give credit to all students in some groups. I could not open some videos which meant that some group members could not view the videos either. This affected the second part of the assignment; a group discussion via Canvas.
Second Attempt at Learning - S.A.I.L.: After regrouping and meeting with Joe and Desi again, we came up with a game plan. I LOVED this step. We decided to have the students discuss the dance via Canvas in group setting. Student were able to view the videos and give authentic feedback to the various dance groups which in turn helped the students to see their flaws. We are now in the revision process; students are taking the constructive feedback from their peers and changing their dance routines. The fact that students were held accountable for doing this was great.
Changes I will make: Next time I will require that the students upload the videos to Google Drive and then add the link to Canvas. I found that I need to model for students how to upload the video’s to Google Drive and how to add the link to Canvas.
Dance Video Examples: LINK
Jill Roberson
Carl Sandburg High School
Physical Education Teacher
Varsity Eaglettes Coach
Great job Jill!!! Keep up the good work. I know you were frustrated, but it's awesome that you didn't give up.
ReplyDeleteLiked the ideas of the group discussion in Canvas-great way for students who are not comfortable speaking up to really engage. Loved the video preview too-made me think about many of our students with emotional disabilities. Plus-new songs for my playlist! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your honesty in the "FAIL" and "SAIL" categories. Great post!
ReplyDelete