The Biological Limitations of an Engaged Technologist
![]() |
| Image Source |
I honestly thought I was going to be done with this phenomenon in April of 2016 when I finally completed a twelve-week physical therapy program that was supposed to correct it. I don't want to slam physical therapy here because it did correct it, and although I spent three months not being able to feel temperature sensations in my right thumb and index finger (a condition called radiculopathy), I managed to crank my neck into exactly the same position again earlier this year.
The New York Times recently featured a comprehensive look at the biological effects of texting, and although they focus somewhat on the psychological aspects of being disengaged, it also mentioned one of the fun facts I learned throughout my recovery process. Every time we look down to our phones and hold our necks in that position, it can put up to 60 lbs of pressure on the neck. While the muscles and tissues do a great job of holding all that in, adding that much force over and over again in the wrong position will eventually wear down that part until, like my neck did, the disc ruptures and the nerves get pinched off in the ensuing inflammation.
So while we can continue to argue again and again whether or not cellphones are "ruining" a generation, the science is pretty clear that they are ruining the necks of a generation, or possibly could be if we don't start to look at ergonomic factors of the classroom.
That's why we have to make use of devices (not just how they get used, but physically how they are held and interacted with) part of the process. Just like proper safety instructions in a chemistry or shop class, some amount of attention needs to be paid in instructing students how to sit properly, keep good posture properly, or even take a good selfie properly. Without it, there's a real chance that they will develop bad habits (like I did) and find themselves sitting in a physical therapist's office wondering how to undo twenty years of bad texting habits.
For me, I can only blame myself. I was told time and time again how to sit when I type, where I should have my monitor, and exactly how much lumbar support I should have. I even got advice from a podiatrist once about how my shoes need to be tied a certain way in order to cut down on the stresses on my feet.
As to students, gentle reminders about proper use of technology in the classroom should be part of the overall conversation. They are listening, and even if they don't shape up right away, the information could literally keep their phones from being such a pain in the neck.

Comments
Post a Comment