Digital Learning Administration

This week, we're featuring the voices of three Carl Sandburg High School Division Chairs as they share with us their takes on the Digital Learning Transition.


Mark Fertel - Division Chair for Mathematics and Business
As many of you know, we are in our first year of implementing a new math curriculum for our freshmen students. Math 1 students have used their Chromebooks to access the many course resources (course curriculum, answer keys, examples, notes, videos, etc) placed onto Canvas by the Math 1 team and individual teachers.  In addition, students have used their Chromebooks to access Peardeck and Quizizz to provide their teachers an additional method of determining student understanding. They have also accessed Desmos, an online graphing calculator, which is a wonderful resource for exploring math. Students have used their Chromebooks to access google docs to reflect and write in their journal, and to collaborate in their groups while working on tasks. As this was our first year of both the new curriculum and for our students having a Chromebook, we look forward to reflecting and find additional ways to use our Chromebooks in our freshmen and sophomore math courses next school year.

Sarah Smith - Division Chair for English/Music/EL
The implementation of Chromebooks was met with a mixture of apprehension and anticipation in the English/Music/EL Division. I think I can speak for most people when I say that there was some discomfort in considering how these devices might impact our instruction and the very culture of our classrooms. But Chromebooks pretty quickly stopped feeling like something that needed to be worked into class. In fact, in many classes, they are already so integrated into how we do business that it’s tough to imagine students not having access to this resource at all times. And while I’ve witnessed a host of successful, innovative activities that were supported by a classroom full of Chromebooks, my biggest takeaway is not a specific strategy or a lesson involving tech. Instead, it’s that using Chromebooks as a tool (paired with great instruction, of course) can empower students and facilitate collaboration - both in the classroom and remotely. Students use these tools to explore resources, communicate effectively, and problem-solve with their teachers and peers. Though these are not new skills by any stretch, they are surely important ones, especially as we think of our students transitioning into college and careers. Chromebooks allow students to work on these skills in ways that interest and engage them. And sure, kids sometimes edit the class google doc in an attempt to be funny or make up an inappropriate screen name for all to see. That’s part of it. But, despite that stuff, and despite the challenge teachers face in learning a new resource in order to really leverage it, there’s little doubt in my mind that student access to Chromebooks is value added.

Anthony Sosnowki - Division Chair for Social Studies and World Languages
The way that our staff has approached Chromebook implementation is a perfect example of a Growth Mindset. It has been awesome to see so many people taking risks and trying new instructional activities with the Chromebooks, ranging from a full-blown shift to module based learning, students using the technology to record demos/publish work on social media, students recording their work in the target language and keeping digital portfolios, to staff finding ways to increase discussion opportunities available via Canvas. The level of student ownership and engagement in learning through the use of the Chromebooks has been one of the most noticeable trends. I am thankful to our division for taking so many risks and jumping in with the Chromebooks; big thanks also goes out to our two TIFs in the division for their work in collaborating and supporting the various needs of the staff. With a great deal of success with both Chromebook implementation and 1:1 the past few years, I am excited to see what opportunities our staff will continue to create for students as we move forward with our digital learning plan. 

Comments

  1. Great insights and perspective. Thanks for sharing Mark, Sarah, and Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right when I left the classroom, was when technology was starting to become viewed as an instructional tool rather than a replacement typewriter. I specifically remember blogspot being blocked and wanting so bad to allow my students and opportunity to allow for a place where they could share their voice...ironic as I now comment on student and staff reflections about technology on blogspot :) I wonder if our students realize how the use of technology by our dedicated staff has increased their opportunities to engage in authentic, meaningful learning experiences that will guide them towards deeper learning. I wonder if they realize how teachers had to fight (for the right) to get one website unblocked. I wonder if they know how hard it is for some staff to take risks to have technology tank when ready to deliver the "greatest lesson ever." Thanks to our staff and administrators who have supported risk taking, creative endeavors and innovative practices to inspire and create meaningful moments that will be the heart of what students take away with them years after they walk across that stage in the next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I could edit my post...but alas, you will have to live with the blogspot non-edit feature and my grammatical errors :)

      Delete

Post a Comment